22 June 2006

WINTER SOLSTICE MY WORLD

Yesterday, June 21st was the shortest day of the year here in Melboure. Yes, its is Winter Solstice. When i was still studying science in elementary, I thought of this word as very mystical and even errie, not only because there is no winter in the Philippines - but the word solstice I pictured in my mind as belonging to the category of wizards, witches and sorcerers. Anyway, winter solstice is an event when the sun reaches its most northernly position in the sky and Melbourne gets just 9 hours and 32 minutes of sunlight. Which really translates to zero sunlight for me since I go to work without seeing the daylight and going home already dark. Well, actually I get almost an hour of dimly lit sun when I go out for a walk during my lunchbreak. Today, while having my lunch in a foodcourt, a burning bush in the form of a girl/lady/woman suddenly appeared and sat with her friend infront of my table. Munching on my yummy ravioli and spinach salad, I was mesmerised and my thoughts were on a blog by David regarding people who could/would dare wear orange and do not look like prisoners. Now this girl does not only wear fiery engine orange, but also dyed her hair and eyebrows orange to match. To top it all, she wore a big man's shoes, and then an old rugged pants, and over it she wore a bali dress, and another layer of material and then the Orange dress or jacket. She also wore orange make up. I don't think she is a junkie, a circus girl or anything really weird, she could actually be a store clerk, bank employee or a manager for the word serious is written all over her face. Or maybe she is in love!!! Now, I think the winter solstice affected the minds of some melburnians, somehow, in an errie way, as i suspected before! And this cold cold weather actually freezes the brains and make people act and feel like zoombies.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She does look fiery! I like orange t-shirt and once I planned to dye my hair blonde and it was a DIY type so I ended up with an orange hair(My aunt told when I was in Finland that I looked cheap *gasp*). So now I am going to the salon when I'll have my hair done soon.

tin-tin said...

if there had been no picture and just from reading your description, i honestly you're describing Ronald McDonald. hahaha.

ey! can i link you up?

vina said...

maybe, other effects of the winter solstice were manifested in advance: like bigger boobs for you!!!!

Gayzha said...

charles: pareha tayo, i usually color my hair, and i am actually obssessive with hair colors, one time i had it turned orange as well and i looked like a carrot banana split - so i immediately recolored to brown. with hair colors, you have endless choices, especially if you do it yourself.

tin-tin: of course naman, ikaw pa, i like your blog nga eh, so cute and enjoy to read ba. i will also link you up ha.

vina: ha, ha, ha, u really made me laugh, katuwa ka - actually i was measuring kung anong size...baka nasa B cup lang... ayyy!

yuri said...

when ur in love u wear pink not orange. hahaha... one of those days. bad hair, eyebrows, (moustache) day. hahahah pero i'll give her credit for her confidence level. di ko kya yun!

yuri said...

wait.. have to agree with vina.. hahahaha bigger boobs.. *points at jase* hahahaha

jase shopping na tyo ng undergarment. make sure its wacoal or VS. Yuck sorry feeling close nko... hahaha sorry

j said...

How I wish we have that Winter Solstice here in the Phils. and that I'd get a C cup pronto! Bwahaha!

David Tellez said...

See! What did I tell you?! Not a lot of people can pull off orange. Fortunately, I'm one of the few that can, so that totally gives me leverage to act like a bitch and make fun of those who cant wear orange! LOL! Kidding!

When I was younger, the winter solstice meant one thing to me: Jack Frost. I dont know if you've ever seen those Holiday clay animation specials from the creative minds of Rankin-Bass-Muller (there the ones that made Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town) but the story of Jack Frost, the winter sprite who became human, and helped a knight win his lady love totally reminds me of winter!

vina said...

hehe, size B, ok na yan! kesa size AAA or di kaya E, F, G.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin