16 June 2006

BOY INTERRUPTED

I am possessed.
Yes, I am possessed by the spririt of Mother Theresa of Calcutta (peace be upon her!) in the past 24 hours worrying how and why other people are living in too much poverty, misery, filth and want. I am referring to people who survive and dwell in the slum areas of Manila and other major cities in the Philippines and even the world (like India, Bangladesh, Africa). And most of them are small tiny little children!
It all started with a blogsite which exposes "beautiful" photos of slum areas and the people and children who live there - my sarisari store (http://www.my_sarisari_store.typepad.com/). I should have posted some of his photos (as he allowed me, thanks!) here but it seems that blogger has problems with posting photos lately. I will do it later.
And also last night I watched this Filipino documentary in TFC (May Nagmamahal sa Iyo) - Someone loves you. The episode was about these young guy who was adopted by an Australian couple in Melbourne from a convent in the Philippines called Good Shepherd.
At seventeen, he became restless, rebellious, unhappy of his life, and went back to the Philippines for the first time on a mission to find his real parents. He dug out records of his adoption but could not trace the people who abandoned him. Instead, he found himself surrounded by these hungry infants and staring children in the orphanage where he came from.
Looking at these children and thinking about their plight, he realizes that he is indeed lucky that an Australian couple found, adopted and have given him an opportunity to live a better future. Went back to Australia with a better heart and gave a new meaning or appreciation to his adopted parents. Showed his videotapes to friends, schools and other organizations and was able to raise funds (10k) for the children. Went back to the Philippine convent again and brought with him boxes of books and other things he collected for these children for a better condition in the orphanage. At seventeen, he was able to give back what was given to him roughly sixteen years ago.
Time and again, I am reminded of these issues and I feel that I should also do something. I felt a new meaning to the word - - "help" especially to those who are totally strangers are really in need. (It is totally different when you help your family and relatives and friends, and this I am always doing! )
Life could be so empty if you live a self centered, "all-for-me" life attitude. I can see these in the sad and tired eyes of reasonably rich people here whose primary objective in life is just to make money and more money for themselves, and helping or sharing with others is not in their vocabulary.
Well, to each his own really, and everyone has their own awakening in the process. But definitely, for me, life lived for others is a more meaningful existence!

6 comments:

David Tellez said...

Not to be mean or anything, but I'm glad people like your friend post pictures of children like that. Sometimes, we get so caught up with our own lives, (like debating cell phone plans and dinner restaurants) that we forget the less unfortunate.

So it's good pictures like that are posted, not only help us be less selfish, but to make us think of giving back and showing love to others, you know? So how are you gonna help?

By the way, I was looking under your BLOG FRIENDS list, and I laughed when I saw my name...David's Drama?! Do you really think I'm too much drama?! LMAO!

Sidney said...

Hi Jase,

You got the heart at the right place. It is heart warming to read entries like yours.

I am sure you will find a way to help. In a way you already help by speaking about the issue of poverty.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's is one of my dreams. Get filthy rich first then build orphanages or whatever ala Angelina Jolie. heheheheh.. I saw pics from Sidney's blog and it's painful to see the reality.

vina said...

hi jase. it's just so easy to feel pity or talk about these issues - then, what do we do about it?

i really believe that we can all make a difference in our little way...nothing is too small to go unnoticed in the eyes of God.

if you could not personally participate in projects for the poor, maybe you can look into giving donations or sponsorships.

i am currently sponsoring two children via World Vision. it's not much, but i'm hoping i am making a difference in 2 Filipino kids' lives.

there are a lot more organizations out there, some not as popular but equally as important.

i hope you can find your own way to make a difference.

j said...

It's really cool that you wrote something about these kids Jase. Even without pictures, I'm sure your readers can relate to this in one way or the other. Sometimes it takes something like this to awaken other people , a reminder to appreciate the good things in life to it's smallest details & to share the blessings to those who are in need.
I started doing this 5 years ago - every year, during my birthday, I visit an orphanage to bring snacks to the kids. I no longer spend too much cash for a birthday party, and my friends understood this. They even come with me or solicit old clothes/toys to bring.
It's only once a year, that's all I can afford for now. We can all do our share :)

tin-tin said...

as vina said, we can all do something in our own little ways. and yes, living for others is a more meaningful existence :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin