05 January 2009

NEW YEAR'S EVE BY THE BEACH ...

Hi, just got back from a ten day holidays to Queensland (Brisbane, Goldcoast and Sunshine Coast), a two hour plane ride from Melbourne.
.
This is our favorite destination for a quick trip in Oz and to get away from the freezing Melbourne despite the fact that it is already summer.
We really enjoyed it - - - although I missed Raffy and Skippy terribly that I wanted to end the trip after five days!
.
There are so many things I learned during this trip.
.
One big thing is that people in Brisbane are generally "homophobic" at their best, as I get all these attention (critical stare, funny look .. etc) when I walk on the streets or shopping malls (imagine me on my girly sleeveless shirt, highpumped Havaianas and Guess tote bag!).
And gay life is non-existent (due to the homophobic atmosphere) - as in, gays have silently mixed into the mainstream ... i.e. gay pubs are really mixed young straight crowd and a bit snub!
.
Was I on the right place?
.
But I love love love the tropical sunny weather - - - and the beaches!
.
And celebrating new year with a community of strangers from all over the world - young and old - was something out of the ordinary!
.
Well, happy new year :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the citizens of Oz are more open minded than the Asians here ( Malaysia, etcetera ) since there are Mardi Gras(es) events? I hate it when people stare of give homophobic looks whenever I walk the malls w/my lover. No peace at all honestly speaking.

Loved the way you spent your New Year though. Fun!

Anyway, ate, I sent you an email. I need some help ... Heehee. Thanks!

karmi said...

Oh, so there are parts of Australia that are homophobic. It cannot be worse than Chile. I swear, I have to bite my tongue to keep from snapping at certain people I know. And they consider themselves intelligent. SHeesh.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin