29 May 2006

DEFRAG MY MIND

I tried and I tried even in my sleep, but I could just not remember the title of a movie that I saw just a few months ago, which was just actually a review because I saw it several times a year ago. It’s a bit shocking, frustrating and my panic made me just itchy to remember that bloody movie’s title. Just one word, and I could not remember it. I want to test my recall facility by not searching the internet or asking friends. Finally on the third day, while I was on the train going to work, the word just clicked in my mind – Zoolander (Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson), yes the name of that idiotic movie, which my brain just blocked out for three days.

I observe lately that my recall process is a way too rusty. I could not immediately remember names of actors or actresses on the dot, like I used to. I have to struggle and sometimes use memory aids A-Z. By the way, this is my favourite mental exercise – flashing photos and recalling names of people. Or talking about movies with my friends and the actors who were in them who were in these movies as well. Or recalling names of singers or bands. I hate crossword puzzles though. Tip of the tonque syndrome is a bit annoying. Maybe my short term memory is full and I need to defrag my mind. Can you imagine how many data, number and information we store daily in our minds. Passwords, pin numbers, phone numbers etc. etc. With the onslaught of the information highway and the things we learn everyday. It is amazing how our mind copes. Would you remember what you were doing at this time last year? I actually panicked and went further with a bit of dramatics by telling a close friend that I might be displaying a very early sign of Alzheimers, like I could not even spell the word correctly. Imagine, the movie the Notebook, etc. Fortunately, our family do not have history of such a rare disease – like I am not related to the Reagans, etc. The bitch said that I just need to re-color my hair and have a new hairstyle and everything will be alright. Well, he could be right! I definitely need a new hairstyle. I hate my hair right now. Or maybe I need a long holiday just to refresh my tired and weary mind. Or drink heaps of Ginko Biloba. It is winter time again and I find myself a little bit tired, lethargic and boring. I need some adrenalin rush….to awaken my senses and my sleeping mind…. Or find my summer groove….What do you think?

8 comments:

Sidney said...

Sorry,but this is a clear sign of senile dementia of the Alzheimer type. Nothing you can do about it...there is no cure yet!:-(
Be ready to forget your own name soon! ;-)

vina said...

hi jase, i know what you mean...i have the same "semi-dilemma", too. to put it gently, i have selective memory.

i'm just thinking that maybe i should read more and watch tv or movie or less?

what do you think? uh...uhm...jake? i mean, jase?

vina said...

ha? anong watch tv or movie or less?

hehe, tuliro ako.

watch tv or movie less.

j said...

hi, I was blog leaping and then I saw your page. this is a very entertaining post because I can relate to this, must be the numerous anesthesia I got from surgery (as they always say) or perhaps I'm just too engrossed at blogging I keep forgetting details, he he :)

Francesca said...

when one is occupied it happens, we forget. But you are not too bad jase, you are not the only one, me too kasi Lola n ako.

in Melbourne, it is winter? Mama mia, we are now in Summer here in France, going until 23° , to much heat, waaahhh!got to put sunscreen everytime I go out!

duke said...

jase,

I often forget the names of actors and actresses in movies plus of course the movie itself. My husband would always say "quelle memoire!" (what a memory) to me.

for soem weird reason though, there was a time when I was trying to remember zoolander's title as well. I vividly remembered the scenes not the title. After sometime, it also dawned to me what the title is.

Don't worry. Your signs are not that indicative of early alzheimer's. And I'm sure you have the perfect partner to hold your hand and be faithful shoudl you be in that a la "The Notebook" situation (god forbid!)

SoulPony said...

I only remember a week after the fact. No short term memory but my long term serves me well.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jase, I enjoyed reading your blog...Great!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin