30 May 2006

CHICKENING (SICKENING) THOUGHTS

I dunno but I was craving for that fresh, crunchy, tender chicken piece feed of KFC since yesterday – so I gorged on a few of them for lunch today. Hmmmm, yummy. Plus, I also had the wicked wings for desert ! Imagine! KFC in Australia – is definitely for Australians. That’s why you see a lot of Japanese queing in KFC here. The chicken are really big, enormous, chunks, meaty, tender and fresh. The two piece feed menu (two pieces of chicken, a piece of bread, and mashed potato gravy, coleslaw) is my favourite. I decided to stop visiting KFC a year ago – since the food is really is addictive and fattening and not good for my cholesterol. Bad luck since I just sooo love the crunchy, tasty, hot chicken skin – something about Filipinos who munches on crunchy stuff like crackling pig skin and chicken skin. They really look yukky but delicious. And definitely not making us skinny! KFC in the Philippines is also Philippine style. Serve with a cup of rice! Last time I visited, I just want to buy the chicken – (as I always do here in Melbourne), but then you have to always buy the chicken with that cup of rice, no exceptions to the rule! And the chicken pieces are just tiny little pieces! KFC in the middle east is also middle eastern style. Very hot and full of chilli and with fresh vege salad. I just wonder how is KFC in Japan – maybe with sushi and wasabi? ------------------------------------ As my thoughts were filled with chicken thighs, breasts and wings, I cooked chicken broth last night – mishmash of different styles (Filipino, Egyptian, Thai, English). The following were my ingredients (roughly): 1 kilo skinless chicken pieces 10 garlic cloves chopped and pounded (I think I used more) 1 medium sized ginger – sliced (I think I used more) 3 pieces medium sized Spanish red onions – diced 3 pieces medium sized potatoes, cut into big chunks 3 pieces medium sized carrots, cut into big chunks 3 pieces big ripe tomatoes – diced 5 pieces celery stems – diced ( I just wished I have green papaya) 3 pieces Thai chili 5 lobes of Kangkong leaves and stem sprigs of parsley and coriander, cut thinly Salt, Fish sauce 2 pieces ripe Lemon Sautee the garlic, ginger and onions on a high heated olive oil, then add the chicken pieces. Fry till a little bit brown-ish. Then add 4 cups of boiling water. 5 minutes wait Add carrots and potatoes. Salt and fish sauce to taste. Celery and tomato. 4 minutes then add all the other ingredients. Sing James Blunt's Goodbye my Lover or whatever song you like. Don’t stir. Just let the green leaves on top. Serve hot with Lemon. Hmmmmm…. So hootttt and yummy!!! This recipe will surely kill all the bugs in your system. Cliché it maybe but hot chicken soup is definitely good for your soul. Common let's eat!!!

6 comments:

j said...

wow, good cook too eh? :)

duke said...

Chicken is the meat for dinner tom. I will try this recipe. Thanks, Jase.

Empress Maruja said...

I want to try this one, but my family disgust anything "new" (dismissing it as "weird", like me).

anyway, thanks for visiting my wonderful blog! mwah!

vina said...

hehe you just couldn't say goodbye to KFC ha? i tried that too, last year - quitting KFC. my boyfriend and i made a pact. kaya lang, when he's not around, my sister and i would order, and then we would "place" the trash in front of someone else's door sa condo.

David Tellez said...

True, the chicken there is a bit fattening, but we're all gonna die anyways, so why not induldge in some crunchy, mouth-watering chicken every once in a while?

Anyways, how'd your soup turn out? I see that you used a little bit of everything, so I'm curious as to how it tastes...especially with that fish sauce...

Heidi Grether said...

Recipe sounds good. How did ya like it?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin