28 April 2006

OLD FRIENDS ARE LIKE OLD WINE

A week ago, I had this surprise call in my mobile. It was an overseas call. At first I did not recognize who it was until she told me her name. She turned out to be M one of my college friends and collegue, in fact our editor in chief in the college newspaper, way back years ago. And this long forgotten face suddenly clicked in my mind. I just cannot believe it! The last time I saw M was just like after graduation from college, and after that we just lost touch. Although I heard from friends that she is now a doctor in Manila, married to a lawyer and recently had a baby - i never really had the slightest clue how to contact her, even if there was a need to. Apparently, she got my mobile number from another old friend. She asked for my email address so she could send an invitation for the baptism of her daughter. Apparently, I was chosen as one of the godparents. Well, aside from being flabbergasted, I told her she does not really expect me to fly to the Philippines in such short notice. She laughed because the baptism already took place last February anyway. So there was no need to panic. And so we laughed delightfully as we laughed twenty years ago for jokes like this. And realizing we had not changed at all, we laugh and laugh again until we realized we were on a long distance call. This broke almost two decades of silence. Old friends. After two lenghty emails with photo attachments, also exchanging news as to what happened to so and so, we more or less linked up the past to the present and promised that we keep in touch from now on. It is good to know that she is really happy with her life and her choices. Again, I wonder how life really unfolds like ribbons and knots.

4 comments:

duke said...

Now that is such a pleasant surprise!

I'm happy for you ,Jace! There's nothing more better than talking to a friend of the past like nothing has changed at all.

Friendships do transcend times. I mean the real ones..

Cheers!

Heidi Grether said...

My friend KE who I visited in Europe in October really kept our relationship current. Since age 19 , we have not lived in the same city/state and since age 29, we have not lived in the same country!

She would not let me go, sent letters, called and visited.

But the work is worth it, as old friends KNOW you and your history and you can just look at each other and know the other knows.

I am happy for you.

Gayzha said...

Duke - it was a pleasant surprise.... exactly, friends make you smile.... i like your smile, very sweet.

Chas - you should keep in touch with old friends, i think you should.

Hattigrace - your friend in Europe is your link to the past and you should treasure this friendship forever....

David Tellez said...

Wait a minute! Hold the phone! 20 years ago, this lady was your friend?! Dude, I could've sworn you were like in your late 20's or early 30's! WOW!

Anyways, yeah, how special is it when people from our past, come into our present, and stay with us until the future? And for her to go that far to look for you...well, it says a lot.

Obviously, you mean a lot to her (how else do you explain that godparent gig, eh?) and I hope this time around...you dont lose her!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin