30 June 2009

THE GREATEST GIFT FROM A FRIEND

I believe that people come into your life for a purpose.
.
During my first year in college, I met a new professor (E) who was teaching Philosophy. We shared a flat with his nephew (R) who was also taking a pre-med course in the same university. It was a brilliant meeting of minds - and cultivating our interests in life's philosophy, amidst the struggle of studies and cooking, cleaning and paying our bills. (Ang saya-saya, and feeling ko ang tali-talino ko talaga like Leah Salonga, being with these guys. Para kaming Bronte Sisters na puro books ang dala at kinakain! ).
.
Ultimately E became a very good friend - a tutor, a challenger that opened my mind to a lot of things. And most of all to the greatest books ever written. He actually looked like Albert (Einstein), very soft spoken and has a very feminine and caring soul. Though he has not really came out - we felt that sense of belonging. Mutual understanding. An affinity with the muses! (Once while reading Dune, I imagined him as the mother reverend Mohiam of the Benne Gesirit and I am her student princess Irulan).
Books and reading and discussing them afterwards were our virtue - and became our greatest bond since. He gave me a list of books to read which I borrowed from his collections or from the library. This is when I discovered and loved the following authors and their works (to name a few that I could recall):
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes from the Underground, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov),
  • Ayn Rand (The Fountainhead, Anthem, Atlas Shrugged, We The Living),
  • Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass)
  • Thomas A Kempis (The Imitation of Christ)
  • Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Sense & Sensibility ... etc)
  • Arthur Schopenhauer (The world as will and Idea ... etc)
  • Victor Hugo (Les Miserables, The Hunchback of Notre Dame ..)
  • Frank Herbert (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune ... etc)
  • JRR Tolkein (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers...)
And so with Emerson, Charles Dickens, Soren Kierkegaard, Emmanuel Kant - that I also encountered in humanities and philo studies- which were given higher emphasis in Ateneo over the commercial courses.
Thus, I became a voracious reader, a thirsty soul - and I chose reading as a past time over any other else like watching movies or television. The library was my chosen playground - and I could read, sleep and even eat there from dusk till dawn ...
I have not been in touched with E for more than a decade since then, but my affair with the books lingered on. But, thanks to facebook, I found him again last week and we made a reconnection. He is still with the university - has been Dean for awhile and now working in the administration.
I asked him for a new list to read and he gave me the following: Apparently they are all soul related, spiritual and maybe he sensed what I need at this point in time ...
Mitch Albom - Tuesday with Morrie
Thomas Moore - Soulmates, Care of Soul, Soul of Sex
M Scott Peck - Road less Travelled
Randy Pausch - The Last Lecture
Harold Kushner - When Bad Things Happen to Good People
James Redfield - Celestine Prophecy
Ken Gire - Windows of the Soul, Moments with the Savior
.
.
I believe that people come into (and go out) of our lives for a purpose. Maybe it is to guide us. To give us some lessons. To challenge us. To make us think. To be our silent companion. To make us happy. To lead us to redemption.
I think I am into my reflective/meditative mood - very !!!

9 comments:

Lyka Bergen said...

Mitch Albom lang ang nabasa ko sa mga list na toh. At di ko pa natapos. :(

Gayzha said...

Butiti ka pa ... tapusin mo na bilis and then share your experience madir!

Anonymous said...

Miss Jase,

parang sasabog ang aking eardrums sa mga binabasa mo teh...

gush... buti na lang pagiging social climbing ang aking pinursue na karera...


miss bubbles cojuanco

Dawn Selya said...

very bookish! I can imagine you in full drag regalia reading tolstoy. :) He is truly a great mentor. So you went to Ateneo de Manila as well?

Kiks said...

Yung unang list lang ang nabasa ko. the last one, wit na. :(

puro facebook na lang kasi....

Gayzha said...

@ MISS BUBBLES

Hoy ganda..... nagbabasa lang kasih ang lola moh dis time, kung di makatulog sa gabi and when waiting .... A form of escapism lang yan!

Gayzha said...

@ DAWN

Oh, yeah! I'm from AdDU not AdM.

Gayzha said...

@ KIKS....

Yung second list are my next reading list ... baka magiging buddhist ako after this....

karmi said...

Hi Jase. There seems to be no doubt to this friend's role in your life. It's an excellent list of books you have. We don't waste time when we read. Enjoy your books!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin