13 September 2005

CULTURE

There is much to say about food in relation to culture. The picture that I would always wish to remember about Filipino food and culture is when I was still in my teen years and frequently visited these old villages in the province and found that most of them have really perfected a fine art of preparing their food. Well, at home we have modernized our kitchen culture a little bit, so I was really impressed with these filipinos in the villages. Aside from being clean in the way that they could, the food that they prepared were really delicious and smells good. Not the way we see them today though - especially the ones in the city. I love street food - - - but not the ones being sold along smoky, murky, smelly and dirty alleyways. I have not been to Thailand, but wish to visit this great country one of these days. From what I have heard and seen on the photos, and basing on my experience with Thai friends here, they are really clean and proud of what they are doing - even hawking simple food on the streets. Wish that Filipinos (selling food on the streets, at least) would also be like them. Just a wishful thinking!

2 comments:

duke said...

i rememebr back when I was in college. There were streetfood everywhere sold inteh university grounds. They even have specialty "adidas" (chicken feet) and isaw! di ko makaya kainin! kasi one of my friends got hepa from it! hay!
I went to Thailand... SARAAAAAAP ng food esp if you like spicy food. me like tom yum and green curry!

Anonymous said...

love fish balls from street vendors. sa up dil after class lagi meryenda fish balls, pag may sweldo - squid balls naman.

love Thailand too! you must visit that country jhaya you'll love it- the food is the best and the people are really friendly. when we were based in HK papa G and I would go there for a weekend - me for shopping and G, well relax & have a good thai massage. the chatuchak market is awesome for knick-knacks. see that big thai doll in our front door? that's from that big market.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin